• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Installing the Leading Edge Skin How-To

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

This started out as an idea to help with installation of aluminum leading edge skins. With the popularity in plywood leading edges I realize there is as much interest in that so the word "aluminum" has been dropped from the title. I am sure there is enough expertise on this site to support both methods.

For the builders choosing the aluminum leading edge there are several methods of forming the skin. The method I used is covered in Acro Sport Newsletter #65 and access to those newsletters is on the Biplane Forum home page.

The first thing you should know is that it is essential that the wing unit has been "trammeled". That is a fancy single word that means the drag and anti-drag wires are tuned and the wing has been squared to the closest thing to perfection you can achieve. Generally this is done by creating a cross on the center line of the spars in a direct relation to the compression beam/drag wire locations. For the tech savvy you would use a set of trammel points mounted to a beam and check the points diagonally for accuracy. Most of us will check the diagonal measurements with a tape measure. It is a good idea to check the front spar for straightness once you think you have the drag wires adjusted. This can be as simple as pulling a string the length of the spar to assure that there is no bow in the spar. Later I'll explain how this affects the leading edge and how I caught this error in my own wing.

Edited by: Neil

Latest posts

Back