• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Instrument restoration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My first airplane part arrived a few days ago: a used airspeed indicator.

The face of the instrument is in great shape, but the black (non-pointer) part of the needle has severely flaking paint. There are little flakes of paint stuck to the inside of the glass, and the needle looks like crap compared to the rest of the instrument. You can see a picture of it here.

This raises the possibility in my mind of breaking open the instrument, and redoing the paint on the needle. Finger pressure on the P port moves the needle (which means it works), so I don't want to damage anything. I'm guessing that opening up an ASI is not a destructive process, since avionics shops do it. I'm skilled at dealing with mechanical apparati, so I'm not too worried, but I've never tried tackling an aircraft instrument before.

Any gotchas? It looks to be a simple matter of removing three screws arranged around the center of the back. From there, I'm guessing it'll be obvious how to remove the glass face from the guts, but I'd greatly appreciate any insight before breaking out the screwdrivers.

Finally, can anyone recommend a type of paint for the needle? It looks like I'll want a matte black, but I'm far from an expert on paint, so I have no clue what type to look for. Enamel occurs to me, but that's from painting models as a kid.

I appreciate any comments. Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I couldn't really find a spot for discussion of instruments or avionics.

Latest posts

Back