• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Intro from Dexter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff

In Remembrance 7/14/20200
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted by Taff, on behalf of Dexter:

Hi Everyone -

I have been poking around on this forum looking for the best place to introduce myself as to not post to an improper thread. This seemed like a good place to start.

I started building my bolt in mid February 2014 after spending time getting the shop ready and then getting back into building things by testing some glue joints with T88 and teaching myself to TIG weld along with waiting (cheating a little) on my rib kit from Steen.

Currently I have a stack of ribs and am now waiting on the spars and remainder of the wing kit. While waiting I am laying out and getting ready to tack up the sides of the fuselage.

I am learning a lot from the Skybolt forum and as I expected when I started the project I am quickly learning how much I don't know and need to learn. As an R/C modeler back in the 70's and 80's I have always enjoyed building things from just a pile of raw parts.

I fell in love with the Skybolt while working as a line boy fueling planes at KMMK (Meridan, CT) where Jim Simmons pulled up to the pump with a beautiful bolt. From then on I have owned three sets of plans and unable to make the commitment to start the build and see my way through it until now as my kids are older and I am single with a ton of time to get lost in the shop.

I look forward to reading through more of the threads as i continue the build and figure out how the hell I am going to get this thing done while improving my flying skills so that I can fly this thing.

It is a prefect weekend to cut and prep 4130.

Dexter

Latest posts

Back