• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Introduction and a new addition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebignickey

Registered Users
Reaction score
I have been a long time lurker and recent contributor on the forums here and thought it was time to make a formal introduction, now that I have just secured myself a very fine aircraft. More on that later!

My name is Nick I am currently a recently upgraded captain at a Fractional company in the PC-12. I have always enjoyed the finer side of flying be it aerobatics, glider, seaplane, or just a good old tail dragger. I have been very fortunate to work with many of the Airshow guys over the past few years as a photo ship pilot. I was lucky to have access to a S-2B while attending school, graduated December 2010, where I got bit by the bug after moving away to start life the acro itch has been growing, and I have finally found a way to scratch it.

I have a large background in working on and restoring aircraft, and have offered my services to many forum members. I hope to gain some additional recent flight experience with my new purchase, and be able to offer a complete training and maintenance facility in the greater Atlanta area within the coming year for all types of aerobatic aircraft, specializing in the Pitts, so if I can be of any assistance to anyone please keep me in mind.

Enough about me I know you all care more so about the plane. Not sure if many of you saw it when placed for sale briefly, or remember it from back in the day. N31514 it's a 1981 S-2A it has been sitting in a hangar for the past 12 years up in Maine, it sat in the same spot all that time not even being moved until just before I came to inspect it, for a bath to knock of 12 years of dust. It currently has 1358 hour on it with no damage history, and still has the original finish on it that is in amazing shape! The prop however has an "A" hub on it and will have to be replaced, or more likely an MT prop put on to replace it. I plan to fly the aircraft as/is for the next 2-3 years before recovering, and overhauling the engine. I plan during this time to look into developing an STC to install the AEIO-390 in the originals place, and possibly looking into doing an STC to allow the S-2A to have the new wing tip and aileron style as the current C model has. I also plan to install metal along the sides and bottom as the B model has to reduce wear in this area by students, and others along for the ride, that might not listen or have an understanding that some thing are delicate. While I'm at it i am also going to look at putting the C gear, and tail on the A, along with developing some new cowling doors that will remove the open cheeks that are currently there. End result will be an AEIO-390 powered C model that is a good bit lighter yet only 50HP shy. Or if you really look at the true dyno HP numbers we are talking only a 30HP difference. For those of you that have flown a B or C by your self and with a larger person up front. Do you think it would only take 30hp to make the two person flight equal to the performance of you by your self?

Before you ask I do know this involves a great deal of time and money and I would be better off just getting a C model, but I feel this will make for an amazing aircraft with the reduced weight, and the increased HP should put the performance right up there with the B and C model. All ideas are just in my head and drawings on a computer at the moment, but just a glimpse of things to come. If any of you other A owners would be interested in any of these modifications please contact me it would be great to start a list of interested people.

I look forward to being a more active member on the board, seeing you all at contests, and maybe someday center stage at the Airshows!

-Nick Gill

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back