• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Introduction and some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrinker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to introduce myself as a new Acrosport owner, and maybe ask a few questions.

I'm 48 years old, and back when I was a teenager helped my grandfather build an Acro II. And by helped I mean I helped him build jigs, rig some tubing, built a few wing ribs, and so on. Not any "real" building. I think the build took him 5-6 years. He finished it, taxi tested it, and never flew it (lost medical).

Fast forward to a few years back, and I decided to find his plane. Wrote the current owner a letter, and we started up a conversation over mail/email. He continually invited me to come visit which I eventually did, and flew in it with him. One of the best days of my life. I told him, if you ever want to sell it, you let me know. He always told me that when he was done with it, he would let me know.

I started PPL training soon after that visit, and will be taking my check ride this October. A few weeks ago he told me he's done and will be passing it on to me.

So, I will be the proud new owner of the very Acro that I helped my (now deceased) grandfather build.

I have a nice dry, paved floor, T-hangar rented at a local airport. The plane will be shipped (flatbed) from Michigan to me here in upstate NY (Marcellus Airport) in a few weeks. The prior owner has given me a list of things that need to be done while it's apart before I fly it again. And I don't have any tailwheel time yet anyway, so I will be doing the work over the winter/spring and have lots of time before it has to be back in the air.

A couple basic questions:

1) I plan to "pickle" the engine since it will likely not run for 6+ months. I have the Lycoming procedure, and will buy the appropriate stuff. Anything extra to know here? Since the gas is already drained, can I just change the oil to the special oil, crank it over for a minute or two, and put the desiccant plugs in? Or do I have to actually run it up to temp?

2) The wiring really needs to be replaced, so I plan to re-do all of it. I will get help here, but there's not much electric in it.

3) The belly fabric is getting pretty bad. Was I believe Stitts through the grey coat, then dupont Imron. Thats the problem, paint cracking. Wings are not bad, mainly the fuselage. I plan to strip it, do any maintenance (wiring, checking all rod ends/push pulls/cables, etc) and then recover. Looking at Stewarts system or polyfiber. Considering Oratex too. Wings for a different year probably.

So - any suggestions and advice for all of the above would be greatly appreciated.

My immediate questions are:
- I don't have the plans anymore. Any way I can get a set? I have the serial and original builder info.
- Best way to store the wings while off the plane - thinking of building a rack. Want to be sure to avoid any possible rodent issues.
- Other storage/winter advice

Thanks and looking forward to learning a lot! (Have joined two local EAA chapters)

(Edit: can anyone fix my title, I misspelled Introduction... Ugh.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back