• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Inverted Oil Pressure Poblems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingFarmer

FlyingFarmer
Reaction score
The problem with my new Skybolt is that when inverted (I am the first guy to invert it) there's no oil pressure (Christen system) and when rolling back the oil pressure doesn't come back, not good! On shutting down and starting again the oil pressure goes back to normal. I took the ball valve apart and found the spring to be above the top ball effectively locking it closed and allowing the bottom ball to close when inverted, due the the vacuum created the bottom ball stayed shut until the engine was shut down.

I put the spring in the middle, the correct position, and tried again, same thing! I replaced the bottom hose to the ball valve thinking that it may have collapsed internally, same thing, no oil when rolling positive.

I eventually found that the top hose, which is connected to the vac drive port, was not getting any oil, the reason being that the splined drive gear is still in place and no oil can get by. to get this gear out I need to remove the entire accessory casing, not something I want to do. So I can either block it off and connect the top hose to the top breather pipe as per Christen drawings or drill out the gear in situ, now, has anyone done this, drill out the gear in situ? Do you think that the filings will get into the engine and cause damage?
Any thoughts on the matter will be thankfully received.
Thank you,
Peter

Latest posts

Back