• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Inverted Oil System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittz

Reaction score
Hi All

Flying a S2 SS with the AEIO540 utilizing the Raven Cold Air Induction System. After installing the Cold Air Unit it covered the front sump plug where the 810 Oil Return Ffitting would normaly be installed so I installed the 810 in the sump plug that sits on the same side about 6 inches farther aft.

I am venting out the overboard breather line at least a quart of oil each flight. If I fill the sump to 10 quarts I will lose upwards of two quarts. The sump seems happy at 7 1/2 quarts where she finally stops venting. Issue is at 7 1/2 quarts flying advanced I see the oil temp increase and pressure lower than normal - fyi it is presently 102f in TX.After I land it continues to puke and leaves about a pint of oil on the ramp. After tinkering with the system I threw my hands up and started changing parts.

First changed the 803 Oil Separator to the coolest Raven Oil Separator which is taller and has more capacity than that of the Christen system. Then changed the 810 Oil Return fitting with a longer pick up.Changed the 804A Sump fitting and O Ring. Only thing I did not replace was the 802 Oil Valve. The system seems to work properly as when I roll inverted I see the oil pressure fluxuate then return to an acceptable pressure. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Mark Jaccobson

Latest posts

Back