• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

IO-360 Engine for sale

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For those interested a good friend of mine has acquired and airplane for salvage and on it is an IO-360 A2B 200 hp Lycoming. The engine has 950 hrs SMOH with complete logs and yellow tags. Its C/S is plugged for a fixed pitch prop. It is a wide deck with all accessories fuel injection starter gen mags vac pump even the exhaust system and oil cooler is included for the $12,000 dollar asking price and he will also entertain reasonable offers. The engine is located in Vancouver WA and one can here it run prior to purchase. Please Pvt Msg me for his phone number and additional details. Dave

jdcalaska

Reaction score

Hi,
Is this engine still for sale?
If so, can you tell me Total time on engine?

Thanks,

Dan

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No Dan it sold almost immediately. But thanks for asking. Dave

jdcalaska

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

OK thanks and congrats!

By the way, do you happen to know why this engine is rated at 200 instead of 180? The compression doesn't seem high enough to do it and I know if has angle valves, not parallel, but 20 hp?

Thanks,

Dan

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Dan I am not an engine guy, But according to Textron Lycoming certified aircraft engine book SSP-393. The only difference between the basic O-360-A1A 180 HP 2700 RPM 100 LL 8.50:1 Compression and the IO-360- A1A 200 HP 2700 RPM 100 LL 8.70:1 Compression. Other than the Compression Ratio,and the angle head cylinders it also had Bendix Fuel Injection and a tuned induction system!

Lycoming also offered a 210 HP engine that was turbocharged with either a carburetor or fuel injection and both were rated at this horse power with a maximum RPM of 2575 and a derated Compression Ratio of 7.30:1

Several of the after market engine builders like Lycon were offering a IO-360 custom built engine that would produce almost 220 HP! Unknown as to what the did to increase the horse power. I would suspect that higher compression pistons would be one, and also a different cam profile and possibly cold air induction, but all of this is speculation on my part as I am a believer in running these engines built to Lycoming's spec's and operated in the published RPM range, But hey that's just me. I would think that their are others on this forum that would be better qualified to answer this question than me!

My friend Les raced his sport biplane at Reno in the late 90s with a Lycon built O-360 that would turn over 3300 Rpm with a special racing prop and at that RPM would probably make 220 HP, But not for long! Again as always this is only my opinion. Dave

Latest posts