• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

It always starts with wanting to do one little thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAflyer757

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Spring I installed a 3 bladed Catto Prop. I was very happy with the new addition. While taking the plane from KPEO to the Geneseo Airshow I stopped in KIUA and blew the starter. Oh well, things happen, but what a great time to install 10:1 high compression pistons. In the words of Tim the Toolman Taylor.... well you know ..more power!

After my friend Nate (Nateultimate10200) started taking things apart we found the Cylinders were shot. Hmmmm things are about to get expensive. I called my long time highschool friend who runs Penn Yan Aero and pleaded for help! He as he always does, came to the rescue. The rest of the Summer and early Fall saw a beautiful newly overhauled Penn Yan Aero 0-320 with 10:1 high compression pistons added. On the fuel cell before it was installed the engine was producing almost 170hp.

I had talked to the fine folks at Griggs aircraft about putting in ADSB, after a month of delays getting the engine put back on and those beautiful NE late Fall/Winter days I finally was able to deliver her to Smizo at Griggs. We left KIUA in mid December. One of the few good weather days I actually wasnt at work. It was in the teens, that quick 50 minute flight felt like hours, and two things attached to me are stilling thawing to this day.

I had Smizo look at the left wing as I had some concerns of movement when I pre-flighted the aircraft. Sure enough a compression member was loose and not attached to the rib, and couple ribs were moving.

Well the wing had to come off and get repaired properly! They also did a great install on the ADSB, the panel looks amazing!

So this beautiful little Pitts has gotten some major work done on her this past year.

I wanted to give a big shout out to Smizo (Chris M) and the folks at Griggs. I have been flying since my teens and have seen how a lot of companies and individuals in aviation do business. Chris and folks at Griggs are top notch! Laying out options, costs, and accurate timelines, and photo updates during the whole process. I could not be happier, and if all goes well I should be inverted next month.

AAflyer

2E5D8D4B-12FE-4C47-9AE4-A1D7AFC23677.jpeg
1669DFB4-3327-43EF-8909-EC71C142089E.jpeg
E01A13D2-F284-4D65-BE42-582B807A585D.jpeg
698F5A6A-A74D-456E-954A-5010D11F1239.jpeg
EC48DA5E-B91D-4448-9F91-E86450771EEB.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back