• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Jump Start an Airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I lost part of a thumb to a motorcycle so my wife is letting me put a starter on the EAA Bipe. I've decided on an Odyssey 680 battery (mounted on firewall), but I'm not putting an alternator on it (at least now) since I'm trying to get it in the air as inexpensively as possible. This is my 2nd plane and the TriPacer gets top priority since the family rides in it (so can't have many extras).

I do plan on flying this plane outside the local area and possibly an
overnight trip or two. I'd even like to take it from VA to CA
sometime. I know I can pull the battery and charge it for my
overnights, but I reckon my concern is for fuel stop restarts. In the event the battery is dead when I try and leave somewhere, how do y'all suggest jumping off the plane? I've looked at the external power receptacle and plug and jump from ACS and am looking at going that route. If I've got access to this in the cockpit, do y'all think a portable power supply like the Peak PKC0AO 300 Amp Jump Start unit would do the job? The unit is light (7.4lbs) and small (12.1 x 6.4 x 11.2 inches) and has 600 peak amps.

Is it even needed? I'm open to other options! By the way, I'm not very electrically inclined, but I'm reading and trying to learn.

Thanks for the opinions!

Chad
<h1 style="margin: 2px 0pt 0pt; font-size: 140%;"><a href="http://www.amaz&#111;n.com/Peak-PKC0AO-300-Jump-Starter/dp/B002SW4VLW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8&amp;coliid=I1T83QXI27J82&amp;colid=NHYVYV1K2S9J" target="_blank">
</a></h1>
Edited by: Chad

Latest posts

Back