• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Jungster 1 rebuild questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all I've asked a few questions in random places and hi jacked others threads a bit, so figured its time to put the rest of my questions in one place.

So the new wings are very close to being ready for covering :) Corona virus down time has silver linings it seems :)

So now its time to get further into the fuse.
It's in resonable condtion but I have found a crack in the upper right longeron right up at the engine mount fitting area. Im not sure if this crack has been there for a while and when I test rigged it I've opened it up with wire tension.
I had removed the gussets from a few places earlier to look at what was underneath but didnt notice it then. the fact that I put tension on the structure with out the inner gussets might not have helped things..... oh well live and learn.

Anyway time to fix it, so a couple of ideas I would like to run by the wood workers amoungst you.

1: The lazy and might be ok way.
So the longeron in this area is doubled on both sides by 1/4 ply gussets and on the top by 1/8 ply so well re-enforced. I could heat the wood and soak in epoxy then re glue new doublers and potenially larger ones and call it good............hmmmm

2: Splice in a new short section. Trick here is making a nice cut of both the old and the new. There is splices on the longerons just behind the seat that where maybe done due to not having long enough stock on hand originally. These are about 9" long and have stood the test of time so I figure a length = to or even slightly less will be fine considering the postion of this repair and the substantial ply on 3 sides.
I have a nice japanese Gyokoucho pull saw and have been practicing some cuts to see the result I can get. The trick will be making a jig of sorts (maybe angle extrusion) to guide the cut.

The other pain is trying to presserve the ply fuse side fairing while I hackaway at this......I mean perform careful surgery :)

Interestingly there is a cross piece and gusets missing up front from the original build, I think done to ease the construction of the tank and allow larger capacity.
It's maybe something to change or stick with the status quo? This may have contributed to the slight bow in the very ends of the top longerons. I have toyed with the idea of making the gussets on the inside very large to spread the load and beef up the whole front end a bit...good idea?

The pics should help visulise all this a little better than my description.
The next question will be about reclining the seat back a little but might put that in later or sooner :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this all

Cheers Dom

IMG_1281.jpgIMG_1438.jpgIMG_1439.jpgSDC16750 (Large).JPGSDC16751 (Large).JPGSDC16752 (Large).JPGSDC16753 (Large).JPGSDC16766 (Large).JPGSDC16769 (Large).JPGSDC16772 (Large).JPG

Latest posts

Back