• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Kansas City History request

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
For Christmas, My wife gave me a book titled, Ride the High WInd ,which tells the story of OX powered biplane pioneer Bill ONG. His story is set in Kansas City, where he purchased his first plane from Tex Lagrone. My own airplane, a 1930 Waco RNF (manufactured Dec 1930) was one of many sold with Tex as the dealer. As I turned the pages, I kept hoping in the background of the many pictures would sit my airplane, or that the small community of fliers described would include Lauren Freeman, the first owner of my WACO. No Luck, the story ends at the turn of 1930 for this book.

I had previously found a newspaper article that described Mr. Freeman and his wife setting off from Kansas City after breakfast and having dinner with friends in Denver. They said the journey was so much easier by air that they would make it much more often. Still no photo.

It occurs to me that when Lauren Freeman bought the WACO in October of 1932 it was a big deal to own an airplane. I would imagine it was news. Bill Ong's book describes the crowds that gathered at the airport to see the planes and pilots first-hand. Also, being an undertaker, I'd imagine that Mr. Freeman was probably a well-known man in the area. He lived at 40th and Baltimore.

So, just on a whim. Does anyone happen to know about Mr. Freeman or his Descendants? I sure would like to see the family album.
Dan.

Latest posts

Back