• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Kelly D Gross Weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanh

Reaction score
I am nearing completetion of a Kelly D project that was started in the mid 80's then set aside. When it was picked back up, the decision was made to mount a Rotec R3600 150HP radial engine and round the fuselage, etc. Doing some preliminary weighing of the components of the plane, it is OK with the 1600 pound gross weight that is listed on the plans but I would like to consider the gross at 1700 -- maybe even 1750. I have the horsepower to handle a little more weight and am installing Bruntons flying wires -- so feel OK there. The question I have is in reference to the wings and their strength. They are 50 inch chord with the airfoil based on 23012 (modified Taylorcraft) and wing loading is 6.95 pound per square foot based on the 1600 gross weight. The spars are aircraft grade spruce -- the front one is 5x3/4 inches and the rear one is 3 1/4x3/4 inches is size. There is no information that is on the prints or that I can find on the computer on design strength of the plane. The designer (Dudley Kelly) is no longer with us and I can't find any contact information on the design engineer. Mr. Kelly worked on the design/drawings of the Hatz planes and designed the Kelly D to be a simplified Hatz. The Hatz CB-1 has a wing loading of 8.15 pound per square foot and the Hatz Classic has a wing loading of 9.44 pounds per square foot. I don't have any information on the Hatz wings physical structure to make any comparison as to what Mr. Kelly designed into the Kelly D.

With all that being said, I would appreciate any comments.

Stan

Latest posts

Back