• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Kinner Starduster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottHess

Reaction score

I have a few questions for you Starduster gurus... I'm an IA looking at a Kinner R-55 powered Starduster. The aircraft was built in the late 70's with 1966 plans, has none of the 'mandatory' radial engine or gear location mods. Fabric is ok but needs TLC as there are a bunch of rough areas. Gear was wiped out in a crash but repaired. Take offs and landings were restricted to 3-point due to prop clearance issues. Engine has been maintained by owner - no logs or history other than anecdotal. Minimal airframe log entries and hasn't flown in a couple of years. No electric.

I was planning to take the airplane apart and rebuild the Kinner and rejuv and paint the airframe, and add a radio. The big question is, can anyone predict.. after spending way more than what it will be worth... what a 160HP Kinner powered Starduster will fly like? Owner says it flies ok, but it only has 180hrs TT in 30 years... I happen to really like the look and am looking for a winter project but don't want to go through all this to end up with something that flies poorly. EW is 1080# and the original craftsmanship seems excellent.

Thanks to all for any guidance on radial powered Stardusters. Are the engine mount mods and gear relocation really necessary, as I'm really not interested in getting that far into a project.

Edited by: ScottHess

Latest posts

Back