Knight Twister N5788B restoration

Discussion in 'Other Types' started by Chris McMillin, Oct 5, 2016.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 5, 2016 #1

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

N5788B Sunday Knight Twister restoration

The restoration of 88B is starting. I'm organizing a workplace, unpacking and taking inventory while attempting to build some storage shelves, a workbench and acquiring the requisite sawhorses, toolboxes with appropriate stuff and the like.

This Sunday Knight Twister, referred to as the Holiday Knight Twister by Steen was acquired from a buddy that is building an Imperial KT and this one was built and flown in SoCal in '85 to about '99 or so when it had an accident or incident and was sold off and de-registered without being repaired completely.

I've spoken to the FAA about re-registering the airplane and it is indeed a candidate for this and I am reserving the original N number because it's become it's identity. Since I have the data plate, as well as the registration and operating limitations, it should be straightforward.

I received my plans from Steen, bought a canopy, and have looked at a lot of engine and prop possibilities. Also a prospective buyer for one of my sports car projects has come forward and if it turns into a sale this will help to jump start the project! Can't wait to get my wings up to my wood wing guy soon.

Chris...

KT N5788B edit.jpg

2. Oct 5, 2016 #2

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

Kewl, the KT was a favorite of mine back in the early 60's already. I had a model hanging from my bedroom ceiling for many years growing up. Please keep us posted on your rebuild.

Dennis5678 likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #3

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Very excited for you! Keep us posted. What engine are you looking at using?

4. Oct 5, 2016 #4

GoldenAge

GoldenAge

GoldenAge

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi Chris,

I new you were going to show up here before too long.
    Congrats.

5. Oct 6, 2016 #5

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Lots of pictures please!

Dennis5678 likes this.
  6. Oct 6, 2016 #6

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Hi Guys,
    I'll post pics TFF1, try to keep it current too.
    Lota, O-360, constant speed.
    Hi David, How's it going on yours?
    Larry, little plastic one? I've got a few kits, built one for my dad, and gave one to Carl Robinson too. So kewl is right. I've always loved KT's since I was a little boy.
    Chris...

7. Oct 6, 2016 #7

Neil

Neil

Neil

I have always been fascinated by the Knight Twisters. I found one in a storage building and was negotiating with the owner, then the owner suddenly died and his son inherited the contents of the shed. None of my attempts to contact the son have worked out.

This photo is a different airplane. The photo is from the Jack Hardin collection.

Knight Twister from Hardin collection.jpg

8. Oct 6, 2016 #8

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

"Larry, little plastic one? I've got a few kits, built one for my dad, and gave one to Carl Robinson too."
    Yep, little gray plastic one, about 6" wing span. I fell in love with the KT project in the trailer for sale at SnF a year and half ago. That's the only one I've ever seen.

9. Oct 6, 2016 #9

Mong

Mong

Mong

Neil, The Jack Hardin collection photo of the all white one is one of the first four ever built. Vernon Payne built it for a wealthy businessman from, I believe, South America....Note that it had an in-line engine...Look at the prop pitch!!

10. Sep 10, 2017 #10

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Does anyone recognize the style and manufacturer of these wheel pants on the Pretty Prarie II shown here in the mid/late 60's? Looking for a pair, if anyone has a lead on them I'd appreciate any info.
    Chris...

ap_homebuilt_aircraft_sum-71_twisters_sisters_2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  11. Sep 11, 2017 #11

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

No, but that is a cool plane.

12. Oct 19, 2017 #12

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

N5788B's wings are in the shop. Spars look sound, it's going to be finished with new full sheeting and wooden leading edges, then covered in fiberglass.
    The top wing was on the fuselage for a while but I didn't take a picture!
    Chris...

13. Oct 19, 2017 #13

Neil

Neil

Neil

Considering the time, they are probably Rataray.

14. Oct 19, 2017 #14

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Rattray is still around. I have actually been in contact with Jim this week trying to decide on a wheel pant for my Starduster Too. He’s only operating part time and his computer that has all the pics of what they have is down for the moment he said. He was able to get me a few pics of various pants and I decided on the Waco style for mine. I believe he will be getting supplies etc ready over them winter and start filling orders in the spring type of deal. I was surprised at the cost but it is what it is if ya want what ya want. I asked about cost and he said cost is based on WHEN the tooling was made and the Waco pants just happen to be some of his newer stuff. Below is a pic of a couple he sent me.

View attachment IMG_4972.jpg View attachment IMG_4973.jpg

15. Oct 19, 2017 #15

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Talk about sticker shock! I'd be careful about how deep you dig into your billfold.

IMO you better build something you love and plan on keeping until you die and pay in advance for a hole big enough to bury you with the plane.

If you plan on actually selling your build, add up what you paid and divide by 4. Or more?

16. Oct 19, 2017 #16

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Jack

I hear ya. Crazy. But how much would it take me to fix the molds I have, or fill with foam and make new molds off a plug I spend a week shaping to the right shape. Then make the parts off the molds, add the rear debris wall etc etc. I added up materials and you’d be surprised. I’d have at least $1000 in doing them myself and a TON of time. Sucks but if I want something besides used Cessna pants there just isn’t many options in the shape I want. The Stearman ones from Wag Aero are only $330 each. But they are bigger than I really want. I’m going to call the shop that makes them and see if they have any other ones (like the Waco ones ) but yeah, I already have the worlds most expensive Starduster Too. If someone wants it they better want to spend real Airplane money not give away prices. Sad when the market shows the raw material is worth more than a complete plane unless it’s a Pitts Model 12. Oh well, all I gotta say is my kids better rent a backhoe, or better yet....they can continue to sink money into the best looking plane ever built ;-)

17. Oct 19, 2017 #17

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Lotta...
    Thanks, either of those two will look the part on your ship, goes well with the motif, your Waco pick there. Can you provide a contact so I could see if he has little wheelpants for 500x5's like the Pretty Prarie there?
    EAA...
    Ha! Yeah, don't you do that too? Old people taught me young, buy or build what you like. Also, it takes the same commitment to build a Midget Mustang or a Breezy so pick the pretty one!

18. Oct 19, 2017 #18

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

19. Oct 19, 2017 #19

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Yea, but if you are only building the pretty one, who is going to build the Midget Mustang?

20. Oct 19, 2017 #20

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Registered Users

Why are you covering the wings with fiberglass over the wood? Just adds weight.