• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Lamp Push-To-Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I have lamps on my panel.. one is for the starter, one for low/hi voltage, one for alternator warning, and the last one for warnings from my MGL cht/egt instruments.
One of things I really liked about my Yak52 was a button you could push to check all your lamps were working. This way you never had to wonder whether the one qreen gear down lamp was blown, or whether there was actually a problem with the gear- etc.
So I have installed push to test switch next to mty lamps .. but whilst wiring up hit a snag. The way it works is that all lamps are grounded, and connected to both the source (instrument, alternator, whatever) and also the test button, which is connected to power. If you push the test buttons, you close a short circuit to power, and they all light up. If not, they are all off, unless a power signal comes from the instrument.
Problem... if one instrument fires up a lamp, the power travels additionally back to the test button, and then back down to the other lamps, and they ALL light up.. not the intended outcome! I only want the correct lamp to come on, obviously.
I'm out of my depth now.. I THINK what I need is a diode to stop the power travelling backwards to the switch and then to the other lamps.. but I have no idea to be sure.. and also don't know what size/type to use? I have some spare diodes from the ones I used between the solenoids.. but I'm assuming they are big amp/volt ones... and wont be appropriate???
Anyone know how to size a diode?

thanksmacLost.

Edited by: macwolf

Latest posts

Back