• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Landing gear reinforcement, again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrnflier

Reaction score
I just had a client fold his gear underneath his Eagle yesterday. He was on his way to the Nationals in Reno, NV and was stopping for fuel. He had a bad landing, part of which was a deep dip in the runway followed by a 12" crown that took his left main off into the grass. They almost had it stopped when the lip (over several inches high) of the runway caught the left main and back went the gear. This was Benny Davis award winning Eagle. It had the radius gear plates (SL364) but I could not verify that the full Service letter had been followed. That is the process of heating up all the tubes to relieve any stress, and it is VERY is important. I had another client who installed the clamps himself and I know for a fact he did not follow the whole SL. I am sure many of you have Eagles that were done the same way.

I had just inspected the left gear for cracks last week, as I was installing his engine safety cable and had the left side open. I reminded him that his Eagle did not have the modification called out in SL317. That is where the 3/8 angle tubes are cut out and 1/2" tubes are welded in, a tube is inserted inside both lower longerons and rosette welded. Lastly a reinforcement patch is welded over the top.

I am not saying this could have saved his Eagle from damage but it would have made it a lot stronger and possibly the damage would have been less.

Yes he did have a prop strike too...

I would have put the PDF's here but the forum limits the size, so I have hyperlinks on both service letter numbers to take you directly to them.

Just an FYI

Marty
King Aero Aviation, Inc.

On nose.jpg

Latest posts

Back