• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Leading Edge Fabric Cracks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6023

Flying Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

My 1979 Skybolt has a few fabric and tape cracks on the very leading edge of both wings. A couple of them are deep enough that I can see the aluminum leading edge metal, and the previous owner has covered them with short aluminum pieces that are an inch wide and about a total of 6 inches long. I have seen these covers on a Pitts S2 that a friend of mine owns. I have a fabric guy that says he can cut the bad sections out and repair them. I realize that eventually the cracks will most likely reappear .. but it seems like repairing the fabric would be a better way to go. What do you experts think? I will post a picture of the worst one as soon as I get back out to the hanger,

Latest posts

Back