• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Leading Edge Plywood Seam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandersen

Reaction score

Hello Everyone,

Below is a picture of the seam between the two leading edge plywood segments. As people know the swept portion of the Skybolt upper wing leading edge is 110" in length in total. Of course, 1/16" plywood (at least from Spruce) only comes in 96" maximum lengths.

On my Skybolt upper wing, I choose to put the seam at station 101" (101"-13"=88" long ply segment). I put another 1/4" plywood rib doubler at station 101" on the existing nose rib. I then glued everything together using T-88. I'm a little afraid that using the cargo strap tie-down method to cinch the leading edges down to the nose ribs may have left the front of the ribs a little glue starved, due to the concentration of pressure at the leading edge. No matter for most of the stations, but the seam between the two plywood section may be a different matter.

What I am thinking is to laminate over the top of the seam a single UNI fiberglass ply. I'll orient the strong ply direction laterally across the wing. I figure about a 6" strip across the whole seam should help resist separation of this joint under flight G loads.

My question is whether this is a concern? In services, do these leading edge ply joints show separation problems that are visible through the fabric? Would laminating a fiberglass ply (UNI?) over this joint help in this regard? Should I use a single ply, or are more needed? Are there other better ways to address this? Should I even worry?

Thanks,

Ward

20110814_161814_Picture_005a.jpg

Edited by: wandersen

Latest posts

Back