• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Left Wing II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 align=right>

Compression struts fitted...

The compression struts came from material in the 'bargain bundle' box from ASS. I ripped to 13/16 x 13/16 then planed down to 3/4 using the bench planer. If using a bench planer, leave the pieces over size in length, because the planer will leave a snipe [slight dip]on each end which you can then cut-off. The struts were glued in place on center line with a nail gun and nailing blocks which I removed afterwards.

'drag wire blocks were then glued into place. I am using 'full' blocks like on the upper wing, I think this better, because the wires being pulled either side of a block will be pulling 'into' each other.

Drilling for the wires was a much more easier affair than on the first wing. Firstly, I already had the drill jig made and ready to go. Secondly, I now knew the optimum sequence of 'over and under' of the wires. The sequence requires that an 'over' wire be in the vicinity of the bellcrank area. I have seen posts around the web from builders who got into a clashing problem having an 'under' wire near the bellcrank/pushrod. Wires were drilled out for 3/16, then reamed out to 7/32 to allow for the epoxy primer thicknesson the wires.

Setting the blocks...

Drag wire dry fit...

Latest posts

Back