• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Lets talk real safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay

Reaction score
It seems almost every crash of an aircraft leads to a ground fire. It occurs to me this is similar to the 1960-1978 Formula one racing ars when they were losing 6-7 racers per year dues to safety and fires AND ACCEPTING THAT AS NATURAL OR JUST THE WAY IT IS. That bothers me and Jackie Stewart took the issue on in his sport and did something about it.

1. What are the solutions to reducing ground fires on impacts GIVEN, we rarely see fires in F1 anymore when they impact at higher G's (Like 20+)than aircraft. Granted they are composite, I get that....but they focused heavily on fuel cell explosion proof issues when only metal was involved.

Q: SO what are our options today to contain the fire aspect of an impact. Not all incidents are survivable, however a fire is probably controllable or at least diminished considerably at impact The PA25 impact in CA comes to mind.....no explosion proof fuel cells.

Sorry about the soapbox it makes me mad. We CAN do something about this.

Latest posts

Back