• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Light weight seats & other thoughts SA-100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
My SA-100 is seriously over weight. The last (unverified) W&B shows 923lbs. That's in the low SA-300 range! Anyway, lots of stuff has to go; smoke system, older nav and strobe lights maybe, landing light, cockpit trim panels etc. There's a BIG battery behind the seat back that's probably there for W&B so nothing much to do there until I get the engine & prop settled. The electrical system is pretty old school and I'm intending to be day VFR anyway so some of that can go. We'll see once I get all the side panels off. The wing root fairings are held on with screws and ny-locks! They won't come off by accident for sure but it makes service and condition inspections kind of tough. Progress has been slow. More on that later.

The seat is a plastic bucket affair with a leather covered butt and back pad. I haven't put it on the scales but just hefting it methinks +20pounds? Or so. Do any of you builder types have some sort of plan around for a tubing built seat? I'm thinking 4130 welded up with Dacron or aluminum bottom and back with height adjustment by foam cushion. Maybe that's a bad idea.

You got a good one?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back