• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Little Scrapper build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Scrapper

Cassutt freak
Reaction score
This is a thread that documents the build of a Baby Great Lakes biplane. To get a better understanding of "what", "why" and "how" here's a link to my introduction post where I explained all that.

http://www.biplaneforum.com/f9/baby-great-lakes-builder-unique-challenge-7489/

So I started my airplane fund with $591 and stuffed it into the Mason jar. Not a single penny came from my pocket. Here is how I ended up with the money........

I knew I needed a decent chunk to start with so I went through my personal garage as well as my service truck. What I found in the garage was all sorts of steel and a little aluminum. From my truck came a whole bunch of copper and brass, I basically cleaned out every piece of scrap I had. I officially have ZERO scrap metal left to my name.

Next, I went to Moms house and asked her if she wanted me to clean up the crap behind the shed. I told her of my intentions and she said "if you move it you can have it". (I felt like a little kid again). :D

At my Moms I found 3 seized and rusted inline 6 cylinder engines and 2 transmissions from the 40's. I also found about a 100 lbs of miscellaneous rusted metal.

With everything I ended up with $591.

The cost for the prints/plans I decided not to deduct. I originally bought them in September of 2005 so I figured I already owned them and it's been long enough where it didn't really matter.

What I did do was order 200' of 1/4" x 1/4" capstrip & 1/8" mahogany plywood & 1/4" mahogany plywood from Aircraft Spruce. The total was around $129 without shipping and since it hasn't shipped yet I can't deduct it from the total until I get the actual bill.

Mike

Latest posts

Back