• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Locating AN hardware

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Locating the correct hardware is one of the jobs I dislike the most so I probably throw up my hands a little sooner than normal :mad:
I am installing adjustable rod ends on one end of the support tube from the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer to the lower fuselage. I am using 5/8x.035 wall 4130 tube because I have it.

I HAVE AN486-2P 1/4-28 internal thread clevis fork.
I NEED AN490 weldable rod end to fit the 5/8" tube with 1/4-28 male thread

OR - - -

I HAVE AN490 HT10P weldable rod end with 5/16-24 male thread
I NEED AN486 clevis fork with female 5/16-24 threads.

I have searched everywhere on-line tonight and found neither of the above parts. Very frustrating

The first person supplying the correct information wins a free ride in my AcroSport 1 :)

Thank you

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a lathe or have a friend who has one? I would machine custom AN490's since it is not a standard AN part. Maybe the race car suppliers have something??

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that brace not suppose to be a streamlined tube? I mean I guess the round would work but it’s pretty amazing the drag differences of round vs streamlined. I know I know it’s a Biplane...but if it calls out for streamlined I’d use it and then you could probably weld a round tube inside it that would accept. Standard AN490

Vilhelm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Acro Sport plans calls for a round 1/2"x .035 tube. So a 5/8" tube as Randy wants to use is OK, only I am not sure the suggested rod ends exist.
For my AS II I used the equivalent streamline tube. Less drag and it looks much better than a flimsy round 1/2" tube

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering substituting streamlined for the round tube as called out on the plans for exactly the reasons stated, looks and drag.
But, I still need to adapt the rod end fittings no matter what tube I use.
I have one size threaded clevis fork and another size weldable rod end. I cannot find a match for either of them.
I also have several clevis forks with 3/16" internal threads. There are no weldable rod ends with 3/16" threads so they are pretty much useless.
This may be the first time I haven't been able to find "some way" to make parts work together :mad:

cashflyer

Reaction score
AN490 with 1/4-28 threads was available ONLY for 5/16, 3/8, or 1/2 tube, per the AN specification.

AN486 (MS27975) has 1/4-28 threads per it's spec.

Last edited:

NDTOO

Reaction score
Maybe you could tap a piece of thick wall 4130 that will accept a threaded rod. This piece of tapped thick wall gets inserted and welded in your tube. If you use a piece of streamline, insert a piece of threaded rod in the end and weld in place. This is how I did my slave struts with streamline. Possible options to consider??

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As NDTOO describes, you could use something like the Pitts slave strut lower end without the 20° angle;

Slave Strut, Lower End Details.JPG

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may not totally understand the question, but if you want to use the 5/8" tube could you make a short bushing for the AN490? The An490HT8 is 7/16" OD. The 5/8" x .035 is approx. 9/16" ID. There is 9/16" X .065 wall tube available from spruce. Slip the An490 into a short piece of 9/16 and then all into the 5/8"? Weld all three pieces on end and perhaps a rosette through all into the AN490 body? The bushing could also be turned out other available stock to avoid the price of the 9/16" tube.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beej, tried your site to no avail.
I knew my request would be a little hard to understand as I had to read the question several times myself.
The problem is, I have female threaded yokes that there seems to be no weld bushing with matching male threads that will fit them. And, I have weld bushings with 5/16" male thread that I cannot find yokes to fit them :(
I am going to plan #2. Streamlined tube crushed around a round tube welded inside and smaller size yokes and weld bushings. I have a hacksaw, file and welder - they will fit !
But, I keep looking at Bill's suggestion and contemplating . . .
Thank you for your suggestions :)

P.S. Vilhelm, what did you use as an adjustable fitting on the end of your streamlined tube ?

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have lots of 5/16” female rod ends...

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I have lots of 5/16” female rod ends..."

Is this the first documented case of 'trolling' on this forum ?

Lotahp1, to be sure we are talking the same item - I need AN486 threaded clevis fork rod ends - not bearing rod ends. If you have clevis forked rod ends I would like to purchase two of them.

Thank you,

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol wow never thought I was a “troll”. Just sayin’ I have a bunch id sell ya at a lot cheaper than new. I have tons of forked ends also AN486. I’ll have to check my “troll stash” for size if ya want lol

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"I have lots of 5/16” female rod ends..."

Is this the first documented case of 'trolling' on this forum ?...
No it aint. :0)

and Lothap aint a troll :0)

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lotahp1,

"I have lots of 5/16" female rod ends . . . . "

Are you sure that doesn't have a "HA, HA" on the end - - - :)

I will PM you after I check and see if there may be other hardware I will need soon that you might help me out with.

Thank you,

P.S. Beej, are you sure ? ever met the guy . . . . . ??

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez guys I normally only allow hot woman to talk bad about me. LoL

Vilhelm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. Vilhelm, what did you use as an adjustable fitting on the end of your streamlined tube ?[/QUOTE]

As I remember it, I used the threaded rod end AN490HT8P and welded a piece of .090 4130 plate on to make an insert. This and the tube was shaped to match each other, then edge welded together. Another way could be to make a cut in the tube across the small or flat dimension and weld the .090 plate to that, like it is done on some Piper wing struts.
Then the clevis fork AN486-4 was screwed on.

Latest posts