• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Logging aerobatic maneuvers during phase 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Question about flying and performing aerobatic maneuvers during phase 1: According to the latest language used for E-AB operating limitations, it says:

…If aerobatic maneuvers are intended to be performed during phase II, those maneuvers must be satisfactorily accomplished and recorded in the maintenance records. Aerobatic flight testing is not complete until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable during the aerobatic maneuver tested. Upon completion of flight testing, the owner/operator must make the following or similar entry in the maintenance records: “I certify that the following aerobatic maneuvers have been test flown, and that the aircraft is controllable throughout the maneuvers’ normal range of speeds. The flight-tested aerobatic maneuvers and speeds are _________ at _________, _________ at _________, __________ at _________, and __________ at _________.” During phase II operations, aerobatic maneuvers that were not documented per this limitation may not be performed. The owner may place the aircraft back into phase I for the sole purpose of adding additional aerobatic maneuvers to the aircraft authorized maneuvers.(45)

Do I understand correctly that what’s needed is to record, for example, “loops at 110 knots, rolls at 100 knots, hammerheads at 105 knots”, etc.? How many things need to be listed, e.g. combination maneuvers (like an Immleman is a half loop and half roll, or a Cuban 8)? I'm sure that in, say, a Pitts, one wouldn't explicitly list all of the myriad possibilities.

If one puts a plane back into phase 1 for a "major change", 5 hours testing is usually required. Is the same true for adding aerobatic maneuvers, or do you just need to fly long enough to complete the acro testing?

Latest posts

Back