Looking at buying a smith.

Discussion in 'Smith Mini Plane' started by Cobrasdh, Jul 7, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 10, 2018 at 4:43 AM #21

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

Funny, I did almost 3 hours of taxiing in Miss Smith. Never let the tail leave the ground but also tried to see if the ASI worked. Even though she once got light on her feet I could not put my eyes on the airspeed indicator long enough for it to register in my mind! Of course I was about as raw at tail wheel as you could get and still be in a short coupled biplane. Only because she was mine: I would never have allowed a complete “nob” like me to taxi an airplane I owned with the experience I had.!

2. Jul 10, 2018 at 11:49 PM #22

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

I came close to losing my S1C in a high speed taxi before I flew it. Was tail up at lift off speed and chopped the throttle and I thought I was again on a bronc...My mentor saw it and said, NEVER DO THAT!...you just experienced all the bad things you will ever see in that airplane and worse than you should have....

Good advice!

OTOH now that I have the skills I do high speed taxis, tail up above lift off speed and "slowly" reducing throttle and easing the tail down....IF you have plenty of runway. I'm talking about my two E-AB aircraft before their first flights. I wanted to know as much as possible before I committed to the first flight. You will get the opposite view on this and I agree the new little bipe pilot should probably not go there.

Jack