• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Looking for a Maule TW tire (solid) for my S-2

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The TW tire on my airplane is about done. It's wearing perfectly square but it's time for a replacement. I ordered one from Spruce but they are backordered for at least 30 days. I may be able to put a serviceable Lang TW together for the short term -- or longer. Anyway, if anyone has a new tire setting on the shelf waiting for a purpose please let you know.

mekstrand

Reaction score
I think I've got one in the hangar. I'll check in the morning.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
The RK Industrial tire that Spruce sells as the "Homebuilders Special" is a better tire and lasts longer. If you get it with bearings that have a 5/8" ID, you just slide a short piece of 4130 thick wall tube cut to length over the Maule axle as an adapter. Works really good and costs much less (1/4) than the crappy Maule tire.

Best of luck,

Wes

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Bill, do more wheel landings, the tailwheel will last longer....... oh and aileron spades. spades definitely increase the life of the tire......... definitely.

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’m with Wes, use something other than the Maule. Nothing more disconcerting than watching the tailwheel roll past you with an obnoxious grinding noise behind you. Ask me how I know.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wes,

Is that a plain bearing hub? the picture sure looks like it. I wonder what the IA would say about that? :) Or if he would even notice.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Bill, Spruce sells a better Fafnir bearing that fits. You need two. Press out the bearing that comes with it and press in the new one. Doubles the cost of the setup but its still 100% better and half the cost of the Maule.

For what its worth, my Eagle owner neighbor uses the RK as is, with the original bearings, and has had no issues. A Tailwheel does not, should not, have any, or very little, side loads. Main gear is a different story.

And I too have experienced sudden failure of the Maule tailwheel assembly. At annual time clean and inspect the fork where it widens to accept the axle. But the Maule does work OK as a steerable tail skid for a short while after the tire leaves. But you'll need a new fork afterwards.

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
But man, this tailwheel is wearing straighter than any Maule TW I have ever seen! I almost hate to mess with it too much. The Fafnir bearings sound like the way to go.

What are you running on yours?

Last edited:

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had the rubber leave but the bearings stayed. No damage to the axle. Borrowed the R&K from a friend to get home.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I found one in stock and I also have an R&K coming. Many thanks........

mekstrand

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I looked and didn't find it in my tailwheel box.. I'll keep looking, but I may have already given it away.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate both the offer and the effort. I have it covered for now with a better solution for the future.

PittsBird ZB

Registered Users
Reaction score
for Certified Pitts, is there any STC'd tailwheel options other than the Maule?

For what it's worth I've run the stock Maule for nine years (replaced once) and haven't had a single issue, but it's time to replace again and am curious what legit options exist for the S-2B (or A, C or S for that matter)....

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The Lang is an approved substitute for the S-2A, B or C according to SB28. I have that possibility too, my Eagle friend has a stash of parts and tailwheels that might yield one serviceable example.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
The Maule's appear to be made in batches. Which appears to mean that sometimes you have to wait to get one. If you want to stick with the Maule tire it is best to have a spare in stock. Or to order a new one before your current one is worn completely out.

Interestingly, I have been told that the Maule's are really a steel donut with rubber overlay. Other tires are all rubber.

I went to the RK after seeing them on lots of Eagles, Extra's, and other ships. Works really well and wears longer.

The Lang is much more expensive. You have to install the entire Lang assembly, then buy tires. But the tires may be more available than Maule's at some times.

Best of luck,

Wes

PittsBird ZB

Registered Users
Reaction score
I've seen a handful of B's with the Aviation Products unit....no idea if they got a field approval or not ...(doubtful, right?)

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My plan is to install the Maule tire and get past the annual, then work on fitting the R&K as a future option. I may get my buddy to look at what he's got for the Lang option which he used on his Eagle before going back to the Maule.

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC there is a field approval for the API. Can’t remember who had it.

Latest posts