• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for an ICOM A-210 radio…

Stu Olmsted

Corpaviatr
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for an ICOM A-210 radio if anyone has one. Went to fly today and the display is black. Radio is working but no way to see frequency.
Skybolt is hangared in controlled airspace of course and my plans of flying a lot this week, well….not going to happen…🤬.

TFF1

Reaction score
Personal opinion, but if you can replace it with the 200, you will be better off. The 210 and the display has always been a thorn in my side. The ribbon cable on the front panel is not ever supposed to be removed. They don’t tell you that unless you ask. Why it’s not more substantial I don’t know. Designing it so the face has to come off to remove the radio is dumb and not worth the bigger display. Sorry for the rant.

Stu Olmsted

Corpaviatr
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion, but if you can replace it with the 200, you will be better off. The 210 and the display has always been a thorn in my side. The ribbon cable on the front panel is not ever supposed to be removed. They don’t tell you that unless you ask. Why it’s not more substantial I don’t know. Designing it so the face has to come off to remove the radio is dumb and not worth the bigger display. Sorry for the rant.
No worries, appreciate the opinion..

Don Adamson

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Stu,
I have an A-210 from an Extra 300L being parted out. $550

IanJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
When I got my new radio (a Garmin GTR-225), the installer had nothing but swear words for Icom radios, I think purely because of the 210 ribbon cable thing. That said, I'd consider the 210 a poor choice, but others to be viable. I don't think the 220 has the cable problem.

mvs1963

Reaction score
FWIW
I had a similar problem with my 210
The 200 will slide in
The 220 has a different rear connector but will fit into the 200/210 rack with an adapter
Its listed in the manual and available from ACS

Stu Olmsted

Corpaviatr
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW
I had a similar problem with my 210
The 200 will slide in
The 220 has a different rear connector but will fit into the 200/210 rack with an adapter
Its listed in the manual and available from ACS
Are you using the 220 with an adapter now? Working ok for you?

mvs1963

Reaction score
I had it all ready but tried the 210 one more time after cleaning the connections and it worked !
Returned the 220
210 never gave trouble again
Also understand the King ky196/96 is also a direct swap but I haven’t verified

Latest posts