• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Looking For My First Pitts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toobuilder

Reaction score
Some of you may remember that I owned a Hiperbipe, which I sold to buy a Harmon Rocket. Many of you said I would regret selling the Hiperbipe, and while I dont regret the sale of the HB for the Rocket, I do miss the 'Bipe. While the bug for "hard core" acro never bit, I do miss the light controls and the demands the airplane required of me as a pilot. The Rocket, while very useful as a fast cross country machine, is just too damn easy to fly and I fear I'm going to eventually loose my edge. The Rocket is also very expensive to just blast around the pattern for those 30 minute impromptu summer evening flights.

So here's my plan: I think I'm looking for an engineless S-1C that I can rebuild as a very light, very simple, very inexpensive 30 minute fun machine for those times when I "feel the need...". I have a parallel valve IO-360 hanging on the nose of a Pacer clone that I will never finish, so I'm thinking I will use that to drag the Pitts around. Im looking for guidance on this airframe/engine combination. I know from experience that the difference between an angle valve and a parallel valve makes a big difference in the flying feel of the typical RV, so I'd imagine the Pitts is even more sensitive to weight. Is a 360 Lyc "too much" for an S-1C? I will be running fixed pitch, and likely wood/composite like a Catto.

Your general comments appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back