• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Looking for S-2A

Acrobum

Reaction score
Looking for a good S-2A, any condition.

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dom and Matt have a 1982 wide fusel., symm aileron, full canopy, they talk about selling near Chicago.
i flew it and would never sell it!

Pitts S-2A.jpeg

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dom and Matt have a 1982 wide fusel., symm aileron, full canopy, they talk about selling near Chicago.
i flew it and would never sell it!

View attachment 55157
If not sold, my airplane partner is very interested in a mount for both of us to enjoy for instruction in the Boulder, CO area

720 933 1079

Last edited:

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the S1-S? hmmm? :)
The S1S is my toy for learning for now :)

Partner has a few Russian aircraft to play with and regularly flies Stearman, T-6, stuff like that. The Pitts stirred something in him and we both can make use of it by teaching in it, safety piloting students at local competitions, and basically making a toy cost less by using it for business.

Pitts and Extra are two things on his list, but two seat Extra 200 still too expensive for us to justify right now. That leaves S2-A or B to bring into www.boulderpilot.com. Or at least that's the plan...

IMG_20201112_105305331_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

dexws

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
1982 should by one of the last S-2A built, basically an S-2B with 4 cylinder engine
Curious to know the S/N, mine is 2269, 1982 built
Ciao

alberto

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
I will suggest that in the Rocky Mountain states you really want an S-2B. At the density altitudes that you operate at, an S-2B will have the horsepower of a sea level S-2A. The increment in acquisition $$ is more but I will suggest that falls into the "buy once cry once" category and on warm summer days you will be happy you spent those $$.

Best of luck,

Wes

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Guenther Eichhorn (the "GE") finally had to rebuiltd the airplane. That particular S-2A has been flown to the Unlimited level. I assume that the rebuild had to repair the years of stress and strain. Buy me a beer and I can tell you a *lot* of Guenther stories. When Guenther moved from MA to AZ we lost one of our more colorful figures.

Best of luck,

Wes

Tailwind

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alberto.... It’s actually a 1981 and S/N 2239....Brooks, it is currently spoken for but if something changes I will contact you. I would offer up my S-2A but I am having too much fun flying it!!
Dom

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone is after a very nice. I’m taking very very nice S-2A. One of the breitling angels aircraft is for sale down here in Australia and with the dollar it might be worthwhile shipping to the USA.
91F55E69-46CE-4F9B-9514-EB0DFFE27DCB.jpeg

Reaction score
Just my opinion after owning serial #2055, there is not a better all around sport plane. My S2-A is like that hot girlfriend that got away but dam did I have a good time with her.

Tailwind

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 1000%!! That’s why after we sold the white one above, I only lasted 6 months before I found the red one in my avatar.

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned 2254 for a short time and really enjoyed it. I sold it to buy my S2S and find it more enjoyable. I do miss having the second seat at times, but the flying qualities can’t be beat. Love the power and vertical.

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guenther Eichhorn (the "GE") finally had to rebuiltd the airplane. That particular S-2A has been flown to the Unlimited level. I assume that the rebuild had to repair the years of stress and strain. Buy me a beer and I can tell you a *lot* of Guenther stories. When Guenther moved from MA to AZ we lost one of our more colorful figures.

Best of luck,

Wes
Gary Debaun told me a lot of stories about Guenther. I am discussing with partner to see if we can end up caryrng the torch with this plane.

Latest posts