• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

looking to buy a Christen Eagle

Reaction score
I have been looking into Christen Eagles and they seem to be the best fit for me over all.
A little back ground: I purchased a Pitts Special this year (Love it !). In the past It had raced in Reno and the person I bought it from talked me into racing it (Greatest thing I could have ever done). I took my wife to some aerobatic competitions (just to help not compete)and to Reno, she loves it, the problem is that I can't fit her into the Pitts and to race in Reno the engine can't be larger than 360 ci.
Anyway, this year I want to compete in primary aerobatics AND race, she wants to go. I need a Biplane that fits the bill.
The question is:
1) Do you know of any other biplanes that would fit the mission better? if so, what one and why?
2) Do you or some you know have one for sale
3) What should I look for when considering to buy:

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Do they race 2 seaters in the biplane class? Do not think that I have seen one.

All of the Christen Eagles that I have seen run 200hp angle valve Lycos behind constant speed props. Biplane rules require 180hp (parallel valve engine) and fixed pitch.

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Do they race 2 seaters in the biplane class? Do not think that I have seen one.

Best of luck,

Wes
Yep...

Been a handful of S2's in the past, a Skybolt raced last year.
Saw some Stardusters in the earlier races.

SaltyPittsDriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
I know slightly it's off topic but you had Warriors Creed on eBay...did it sell?

Reaction score
The rules are up for changes by each class each year for the races, the Eagle fits because the engine is 360ci or smaller, I will be modifying and building the canopy for races (single seat configuration) she won't be the fastest but will do a good job of filling my mission, and yes I did sell Warriors Creed on ebay. Wish I would have got more and its hard to let her go but I must press on.

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There is one supposedly for sale at my airport that was built by hale Wallace and has all red with white eagle scheme it also has a Hartzell claw prop. I can try to dig up the guys contact if you want.

Last edited:

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
Is the one place canopy really more efficient for speed ?

gmann750

Reaction score
There is one supposedly for sale at my airport that was built by hale Wallace and has all red with white eagle scheme it also has a Hartzell claw prop. I can try to dig up the guys contact if you want.
I be interested in his contact info. Could you pm it me. Thnx Bret- Mark

SaltyPittsDriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
I be interested in his contact info. Could you pm it me. Thnx Bret- Mark
If it's the Eagle I'm thinking of it has a 540 in it. Let us know how it works out though. Good luck in the search.
I'm still looking for a replacement for my S2-B and it sold two years ago. I just need someone to list their S1-11B or a good S2-B for sale.

RT

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nope this eagle is a 4 cylinder angle valve lyco. Rear mounted governor. I not terribly sure if it is for sale or isn't for sale. I will try and find out.

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You'll need to read the rules carefully, unless they make a change, constant speed is not allowed. They might let you run as a filler but probably not for the money with a wiggly prop. You should have gotten the latest rules from Casey just recently. You can propose new rules up until Jan. 1.
Good luck.
Mark

Flybipe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Last year a Pitts Model 12 raced, just not in Biplane. Raced in the lower levels of Sport Class....less restrictive than biplane and you can run just about any engine / prop combo you can think of...

The 4 cycle Eagle with the Claw has been on the market in the past. The claw is a one off cut down version to fit on the 360 4 banger....

Reaction score
They will allow the prop if you wire it so you are not capable of changing it during the race

Reaction score
The problem with the sport class is that they have so many glassair's and lancair's that you would end up racing just to stay out of last place.

smutny

Biplane Addict
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score