• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Looking to buy a Skybolt

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have time to build a Skybolt so I"m looking to buy one that's flying. If you have one or know of anyone who does, please let me know. I'm in Ohio but am not intimidated by distance. Thank you, Mark Stoltzfus cell 330-466-2694

Last edited:

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven't already, check barnstormers.com, controller.com, trade-a-plane.com. I suspect you already know these, but just in case. ;)

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Mark! This is a great place to come for all things biplane...

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, check barnstormers.com, controller.com, trade-a-plane.com. I suspect you already know these, but just in case. ;)
I have checked those but I'm certainly open to ideas. On Saturday I learned one just sold very local to me but I never knew about it. That's just the way aviation is and it's why I'm using every avenue I can think of to find one!

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, here is a good place to check. Good luck hunting!

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you're interested, I owned N14BF for awhile.
Bought it from a friend that had a tailwheel problem and damaged the LG. Easy repair to the lower fuselage longerons. I was going to repair it, but just had too many projects.

Owned by another buddy right now. He has a flying Skybolt, so he'll likely do nothing with it.
No engine, but does have my old 3 blade Performance propeller.
No damage to the wings and nothing on the fuselage other than the gear attach area.
Inverted oil/fuel.
It would be a pretty quick one to get back in the air.

Located in the Seattle area.

PM me if interested and I'll put in touch.
Skybolt-1.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture3.jpg

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought it from a friend that had a tailwheel problem and damaged the LG. Easy repair to the lower fuselage longerons. I was going to repair it, but just had too many projects.

Owned by another buddy right now. He has a flying Skybolt, so he'll likely do nothing with it.
No damage to the wings and nothing on the fuselage other than the gear attach area.
Inverted oil/fuel.

PM me if interested and I'll put in touch.View attachment 64161View attachment 64162 View attachment 64160
I'm new to this forum and don't have it all figured out. I think I sent a PM.

Estyhix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a Skybolt and a Starduster? Other than a slightly different look?

Ralsmark

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Main plans configuration difference between Starduster and Skybolt is in the wings but wing span and wing area are similar.
Starduster: 3 piece upper wing with center section and outer panels; Skybolt: Single piece upper wing. Starduster upper wing has more parts but 24 foot long Skybolt wing takes up more space in the workshop or on a transport trailer.
Starduster: Cambered wing airfoils; Skybolt: symmetrical airfoils and thinner section upper wing airfoil copied from Pitts S2 which improves negative G snap and negative G spin transistion.
Per plans, all Skybolts have 4 ailerons, Stardusters are built with either 2 or 4 ailerons.

two mules

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have time to build a Skybolt so I"m looking to buy one that's flying. If you have one or know of anyone who does, please let me know. I'm in Ohio but am not intimidated by distance. Thank you, Mark Stoltzfus
I have one. 605-641-6886

Doug Schenk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Skybolt that I removed from the market due to Covid. I’m just finishing some changes to my Pitts & will relist the Skybolt soon, it’s at Niagara Falls NY.
260 HP. Canopy & Spring gear. Priced to sell because I don’t need two biplanes...
Doug.

AKBUSHRAT

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Inverted oil/fuel.

PM me if interested and I'll put in touch.View attachment 64161View attachment 64162 View attachment 64160
I am interested. Please send me the particulars. Thank you. [email protected]

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked into that one and it had just sold. Thanks

Skybolt31

Registered Users
Reaction score
Do you have any requirements like 6cylinder or canopy? I have a friend selling one in Massachusetts, I believe it is a 200hp, constant speed prop open cockpit plane, can get more details if you are interested.

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any requirements like 6cylinder or canopy? I have a friend selling one in Massachusetts, I believe it is a 200hp, constant speed prop open cockpit plane, can get more details if you are interested.
I am not stuck on those details. At this point I have a verbal agreement on one which I expect I will be buying. If that falls through I'll get back to you. Either way I'll post an update in about 10 days. Thank you

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promised an update so here it is. I was able to buy a Skybolt in western South Dakota. Today I flew it 8.7 hours but due to weather couldn't quite make it home to NE Ohio. I'll go pick it up in Indiana when I can. Thanks to all who provided input.

This forum has been very helpful in the learning process for this airplane. I know I have a lot more to learn and will lean on some expertise here.

Attachments

hatzdude

Reaction score
Congrats! Can't wait to see some more pictures.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the new plane!

Latest posts