• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Loss of rpm (CS) and oil pressure during acro, IO-360-A1A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas Larsson

Reaction score
Hi, so i went to the dark side and bought a Laser 230 with a CS prop. I do loose rpm during acro when doing ballistic rolles and sometimes also during hesitations roles, as when doing a cuban with 2*1/4 on the way up - when i get to invered the engine can loose 4-500 rpm sometimes. At the same time I notice that oil pressure goes down to 20-30 psi. I have changed to a new Christen Valve 802 valve, i have increased the oil pressure from 60 to 75 during normal flight - but i still have the problem. I run 15w50 Oil since it has been used in the engine all the time. The oil temp is 180-210 F during acro.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do? Shall I just add som more STD-425 washers in the oil pressure relief valve and go for even higher oil pressure? Max is 9 washers so i can still add 2-3 more i get a bit higher pressure that way. Or would changing to 80w be an alternative?

Br Jonas

Latest posts

Back