• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Low oil pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn Ray

Reaction score
I think I have this issue resolved, at least I hope, but an interesting situation. Airplane is somewhat new to me (Charger with an O-320), and the oil pressure has been reading in the 30's. At first I thought maybe it just ran lower than my other plane. (I have an RV-6A with an O-320 that runs in the 70’s). Yesterday I started up the plane and it was reading even lower. The gauge is a direct pressure (not electric). I disconnected the oil line providing oil pressure on both sides and blew air through the line. It was clear. I connected a different direct pressure gauge to the oil line and started the engine. I was only reading 20 psi, even after warming up some. As part of trouble shooting the problem, I checked the pressure relief valve for issues. Everything looked good, I did take the ball out and cleaned everything up. But in reading up on potential issues, it is adjustable by adding up to 9 washers according to the Lycoming manual. I tried adding 2 and leaving the original one (which was pretty flat) on. The pressure went to 45-50 psi. I added one more washer and now the pressure on startup is 65-70. I have not had a chance to let it warm up or fly to see is the pressure changes. I feel that this has been an issue even before I bought the airplane, but this change seems to have fixed the problem. I will definitely keep a close eye on the oil pressure, but I hope this isn’t masking some other issue. The motor only has about 300 hours on it SMOH. It doesn’t leak oil anywhere and only uses small amounts. Very open to others opinions about this situation. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back