• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Lycoming fuel pump pressures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m running an O320 A2A on my S1. When I bought it, it had the PS5 BD. It had recently been overhauled with the orange seals but I never could get it to idle correctly. After calling Mikes fuel metering out of Tulsa we discovered that the PS5C is the only real solution to a pressure carb for the O320 engine.

The problem I’m having now is that pressure carb is designed to run 8 to 14 psi inlet pressure from the fuel pump. The Tempest on the plane now runs 15-18 psi. After researching all the different mechanical fuel pumps that say AC spruce sells they have a low, 4-8 psi/mid 15-18psi/and a high 21-32psi. So nothing in the range for my application.

After a little online research I see some other pump manufacturers, like AC, Thompson and Romec. At this point I thought I’d throw it out to see what pump setups were common with the O320/PS5C. I know it’s been a popular combination in the past. Mike’s tech said The carb would have a rich problem with anything over 15psi.

thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back