• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

lycoming Geared Starter

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am in need of a servicable geared starter for a 180 HP lycoming it is a 149 tooth starter ring and 12 V I believe they were made by Prestolite, Delco-Remy and Lamar but many were rebuilt and sold by several other manufactures. Dave

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Would an MZ-4222 or MZ-4206 fit?

I put B&C's on my ships.

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the MZ-4206 is a geared Prestolite, MZ-4222 is a later model geared starter, both are 12 volt 149 tooth is what I need, for my Starduster Too, It helps the C&G wen I loaded and have min fuel, I could probably put the light one on with no problem, as I am a lot skinnier these days, but old habits are hard to break. Hit me with what you got guys and the price, and I'll send a check. Thanks Dave

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Both of my old "boat anchor" starters have been sitting on a shelf for several years. They were working when removed to upgrade to B&C starters. Pick one and pay shipping and its yours.

If someone want the other one I would be happy to have the shelf space back and see it go to a good home.

Best of luck,

Wes

js24laser

Registered Users
Reaction score
I am in need of a servicable geared starter for a 180 HP lycoming it is a 149 tooth starter ring and 12 V I believe they were made by Prestolite, Delco-Remy and Lamar but many were rebuilt and sold by several other manufactures. Dave
Dave I have my old starter. It was tested and cleaned up.

Enzo

Reaction score
I shipped him one this morning. Looks like I'm not the only one wanting to get some storage space back. At least these heavy starters don't multiply like coat hangers.
Cheers
Enzo

Latest posts