• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Lycoming O-3?? Hybrid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen, looking for your considerations about my Lycoming O-3??; why question marks?

Here the problem. Documents state it’s a O-320-E2G but…

It was rebuilt many years ago so, even if it was running like a Swiss clock, after discovering some little discrepancies (small oil leakage, oil press probe not the right one and drip stick as well) and considering the age I decided to proceed to a “zero hour maintenance”; and here arrived the surprise.

Pistons and cylinders were 320 type, carburetor an Ellison TBI SF4 (suitable for 320) but the crankshaft was the 360 as well as the connecting rods. Changed pistons, valves and cylinders (in very bad conditions) with new 320 ones and inspected crankshaft and rods in very good conditions.

The engine, originally, was “Bluprint” treated; may be the reason of the heavy traces of overheating on pistons, cylinders head and valves? Sparks had no signs of that; actually they looked like if the mixture was too rich. Thanks to this Bluprint treatment documents stated a 175hp.

Now: with new original O320 pistons and cylinders but shaft and rods of the 360, what is the power that can be expected? I’ve been told that, since the shaft and rods are the 360, a O360 power more or less, can be assumed; is it correct? Do I have to install a O320 or an O 360 carburetor?

At the time of the engine’s inspection it had 140 hrs since rebuilt.

Thank for any consideration and have the best.

Latest posts

Back