M-12 Build

Discussion in 'Pitts Model 12' started by JeremyHolt, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Nov 15, 2012 #1

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

Hello guys…. So I have finally made up my mind and I am starting a lifelong dream to build my own airplane. Because this will take a very long time.. I figured I would tell you a little about myself.

To start, ever since I was young, airplanes have been a major part in my life. My dad and I would build and fly remote control airplanes at night and fly them on the weekends. We would travel all around doing fun flys and competitions. In high school I got my pilots license and then went to Embry Riddle University for aircraft engineering. I commissioned into the Air Force as a pilot and am now stationed in Shreveport LA as a B-52 instructor. I have a wife and two girls ages 5 and 4.

At the beginning of this year I got my tail wheel endorsement in a Decathlon and decided it was time to buy my first airplane. I bought a Skybolt built by Mike Marion and have had a blast with it ever since. Next year I plan to compete in IAC and also fly a few local air shows along the way. Now that I have a great plane to fly, I wanted to start looking down the road at the next plane that will be a great air show attraction, along with being a step up from what I have now. I wanted a plane that was a two seater, but could be converted to look like one. I wanted a biplane, and it needed to be in kit form. After talking to many people, and mulling over it a long time… I decided on the M-12. Once the decision was made, Kevin Kimball has been great in leading me into this process and helping me take this large step.

I am very excited in this future plane and hope you guys will provide some good inputs along the way. Thanks, Jeremy

jerm.jpg

shootout.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

ribs.jpg

michaeljordan likes this.
  2. Nov 15, 2012 #2

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's too cool! Such a beautiful airplane.

You're Skybolt isn't a slouch either!

3. Nov 15, 2012 #3

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

Thanks, I am very excited... and I am excited to hear how your new rigging works!

4. Nov 15, 2012 #4

christopher

christopher

christopher

Nice Intro Jeremy! Those are some good looking ribs, and best of luck with IAC!

5. Nov 15, 2012 #5

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Congrats on the choice and good luck! By the way is that a mirage 550 I see in the first pic ;) flew better on a .15 than the sort of over weight under power stock electric setup but modern electronics would make that a great little airplane! Have fun with your build and I'll second the great looking skybolt!

6. Nov 15, 2012 #6

Neil

Neil

Neil

Now you are deep into the fold of building so Welcome. Do you have the Skybolt at Down Town Airport? Puts you about 100 miles from me.

7. Nov 15, 2012 #7

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

Yea sure am. There are a few of us here that have it bad. Lets get together!

8. Nov 15, 2012 #8

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

It totally is a Mirage! That plane was so under powered. I think I crashed it on the golf course eventually. LOL

9. Nov 15, 2012 #9

Chopmo

Chopmo

Chopmo

You can't go wrong with a M-12 and Kevin Kimball's support - both are super.

Building the airplane the way you want it is something to be savored - enjoy the journey!

Hope you had a great Veteran's Day - your service is greatly appreciated!

10. Nov 16, 2012 #10

jholt

jholt

jholt

Hey Jerm, thanks for the link. Ribs are looking great. 2nd rib from bottom has a slight warp. Just kidding. Never thought I would have a part in you building your own plane but looks like I got you started. Hopefully I can see your work first hand in a few weeks. Keep the Skybolt warmed up for a flight. DAD

11. Nov 16, 2012 #11

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

And a big welcome aboard to you!

12. Nov 16, 2012 #12

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

Senior Member Supporting Member

Jeremy, Nice choice. I would love to build a model 12 myself but I have just finished my S-1 so I don't think I am in mental shape to take on another project that size anytime soon other than flight testing mine.

Please start a blog so we can keep up on how you're progressing or do the Smizo route and start a 30 something page long post on the forum (and growing even after it was split...) for us all to enjoy.

At any-rate best of luck to you.

13. Nov 16, 2012 #13

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

Well I know ribs are not exciting.. but I will show you my process none the less. One more night... one more rib.

rib.jpg

rib1.jpg

rib2.jpg

rib3.jpg

rib4.jpg

aerofan likes this.
  14. Nov 16, 2012 #14

bf92

bf92

bf92

I think ribs are very exciting! Each one you complete is one less part you need to build, and you are that much closer to finishing your project. Any project is made up of very small individual mini-projects, which if done right the first time, never need to be done again. My project took nearly 6,000 hours, and it was done one piece at a time. You have the great advantage of a set of plans, and Kevin Kimball to guide you. Take joy in each individual accomplishment. I think the journey was fantastic!

Danny
    www.goldenageairshows.com

15. Nov 16, 2012 #15

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

It is nice to see some parts collecting!

16. Nov 16, 2012 #16

Neil

Neil

Neil

I really like the jigs provided in the Model 12 kit. Assures a perfect rib every time without the builder having to deal with a paper pattern. Looking great.

Hey, you weren't flying the B-52 that buzzed the ULM stadium at the ULM vs Baylor football game about a moth ago were you? (Military Day)

17. Nov 16, 2012 #17

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

No that was actually one of my buddies. Is there a pretty good Aerobatic scene in Monroe other than ducks and people with big beards?

18. Nov 16, 2012 #18

Neil

Neil

Neil

Not really. Jeff Southern is in Rayville (20 miles east)and he just sold his S2B and bought a S2C at Sherman and flies some with the Pitts Viper guy. Some Warbird aerobatics because a couple of the Aero Shell team guys are from the area. I have a site member across town that is hot to build. He was just over last night returning my S1 plans and ordered as set of Super Stinker plans. Trying to get him to buy a C model and just start flying.

The Ducks are getting better at evasive maneuvers though.

19. Nov 17, 2012 #19

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

Yes I agree I would not be in the Correct mindset to build if I didn't have already something to fly

20. Nov 28, 2012 #20

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

JeremyHolt

Wish there was more to report but still in the process of building ribs. I am estimating another month at the rate I am going...