• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

M-14P Carburetor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've beenrunning the M-14P on my airplane since late August, doing run-ups to check operations,and doing lots of taxi work. After shutting down from the 8th run the carburetor began dripping fuel at the rate of about one drop per second. I made several more runs, and after each one the dripping continued. I had a PS5-C on my Pitts when I first began flying it back in 1984. After six hours of flying the engine quit on a landing roll-out. I got out to push the plane off the runway, and gas was literally pouring out of the carburetor. Needless to say, I never flew with that carburetor again, as it had ruptured a diaphragm ($1,200 to overhaul!). Because of this experience I didn't dare fly my plane, thinking perhapsmy M-14P carburetor was having the same problem. I did an internet search and found that the Lithuanian CAA had issued an AD on the diaphragms in the AK-14P carburetor, giving them a life-limit of six years, regardless of operational time. The diaphragms in my carburetor are 15 years old. I removed the carb and sent it to M-14P, Inc., in Arizona, this morning for replacement of the diaphragms. They estimate the cost to be $75 for the diaphragms and two hours labor, for a total of $225. Not bad for the peace of mind. Any of you other M-14 owners may want to check on the age of your carburetor or the last date the diaphragms were replaced. Fly Safe!

Danny

Latest posts

Back