• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

MA-5 Charger Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for advice on purchasing a MA-5 Charger for sale in southern California. You can see the listing here --> https://www.controller.com/listing/...charger-experimental-slash-homebuilt-aircraft

Here's the bad:
Prop strike in 1995 - propeller replaced & engine torn down/reassembled with #1 & #3 cylinder replacement (among many other items)
Out of annual - last annual was August 2018
Appears plane was not flown between 1996 & 2006

Since 2006, there has been roughly 345 hours flown. Plenty of time for issues to surface, and appears that nothing major has surfaced. The aircraft had new Ceconite and dope in 2006. The last time the engine ran and plane was taxied was January 9, 2020. To my knowledge - it didn't not fly on that date.

Assuming the annual passes without significant expenses, there's no MAJOR red flag left on the table (in my opinion) - with the fact that 345 hours have passed since the prop strike. I'm looking for comments from experienced pilots that can objectively give constructive ideas about making a decision to take on this plane/project. I realize it's a project, I realize it can be called a hangar queen and I realize there may be engine items to watch closely for. Looking for practical facts & considerations about this aircraft. It can't be that bad, can it? What would you do if it was, throw it away? This appears to be capable of being a wonderful aircraft for someone willing to do what it takes. ....so, what does it take? I'm willing to do it.

I will be travelling to California next weekend to take a look at this plane. I'll inspect it, sit in it, start it, taxi it - just short of flying it - I'll get a feel for it's current condition. A pre-buy/annual inspection will be performed shortly after that. I also realize there's a big difference in a pre-buy vs annual inspection. I'm likely to spring for the entire annual just to see where this plane lands.

Thanks ahead of time for your comments - all will be appreciated! I'm also trying to politely say, don't just tell me to "run" because of issues. I want to know about fixing the issues and making it a worthy plane to own (no airworthy pun intended).

Latest posts

Back