• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Madras Oregon Air & Car Show August 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is for all of you guys that wanted to go and attend some sort of airshow this year, but even it was dicey as to whether it was going to happen or not, with the governors mandate that all statewide were suppose to wear masks outside in the entire state of Oregon!

Dan and I were able to attend one of few airshows that have gone off this summer, and I finally got to take my new airplane to one of these events.

https://www.cascadeairshow.com/

We flew over in the morning, and came back in the afternoon. We normally would have gone Friday and come back on Saturday, but no rooms were available at al in the Madras area, and most if you could find one was super expensive. There was quite a turn out as most were like us unsure if it was going to actually happen right up to several days before the event.

There were not very many show planes home built's or antiques, but a lot of airplanes and people none the less A Marquart Charger from Bend Oregon and a Midget Mustang, as well as our two biplanes, the other draw was of course the show cars, many really nice examples as a hot rodder myself back in the day some were very impressive. We had some interest in our airplanes, but most were airshow patrons, with little airplane experience and with the usual questions. The big draw was the Army Golden Knights, but trying to see them going out of the plane at about 13,000" was hard to do. They had a number of the usual aerobatic airplanes. But also I think the other big draw was two B-17s flying at the same time, as well as a Navy A-4 Sky-Hawk.

The trip over up to 7500' and 60 degrees was quite pleasant and a bit more smoky especially in the Portland area. But everyplace was reporting clear and 10, Troutdale at the entrance to the gorge, Hood river the Dalles out of the gorge and of course Madras, and Redmond, all clear and 10. It was a bit better there on the ground and on the way back at 6500' but again the Portland area was pretty hazy. The flight time was 1.25 going and 1.15 on the return flight. I now have 90.8 hrs on my SA-100 and could not be more pleased, but at least I go to go to a real airshow with the thing before I fall off the end of the earth. Dave

Attachments

• SAM_7317 small.JPG
    SAM_7317 small.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 28
  • SAM_7318 small.JPG
    SAM_7318 small.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 26
  • SAM_7319 small.JPG
    SAM_7319 small.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 26
  • SAM_7320 small.JPG
    SAM_7320 small.JPG