• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Magnetos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My second to last flight in the fall my engine (M-14P) ran as smooth as an electric motor. The next (last) flight there was a very slight roughness, and I mean very slight. During the annual I found the rear plug on #1 cylinder was a bit loose, and thought that was the problem.

Fast forward to a week ago. Annual complete, all plugs cleaned, gapped, and rotated to new positions. The mags checked perfectly, just about a 60 RPM drop on each. Took off, throttled back to 25"MP, screwed the prop back to 2,500 RPM, the engine got quite rough. Back to 2,900 RPM everything smoothed out.

Landed, taxied back, this time on takeoff I could only get 2,480 RPM and the engine was running very rough - aborted takeoff.

Tightened all intake tubes, attempted another takeoff, could only get 2,400 RPM and very rough - aborted takeoff.

Opened the left mag, but don't really know what I'm looking for. My mechanic has no experience with this engine or mags. A mag is a mag, but there may be some idiosyncrasies with these mags. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Sounds like a mag issue to me.

Thanks,

Danny

Latest posts

Back