• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Mahogany plywood nose ribs? or what plywood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentonbee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready soon to order some 1/4 in thick plywood to make nose ribs for my Light Sport single place Great Lakes project. I have a few questions.

1. How much lighter is Mahogany than birch? in a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet, It looks like the Mahogany will be 171 dollars and birch will be about 70 dollars plus shipping. So how much weight could be saved using mahogany? I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get mahogany.

2. Have you had luck getting plywood shipped to you with out damage? I am thinking I may have to make a trip to pick it up.

3. I intend to cut them out with a router attaching a pattern to the piece to be cut out.

Thanks guys and gals.
Mike

Latest posts

Back