Makin" Lil Bitts

Discussion in 'Other Types' started by lakeracer69, Jun 6, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 10, 2018 #201

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

In this case it is a 1/4" tube going into a 5/8" tube. I've thought about those transitions a bit, and will probably end up using some body filler to fair that out. Same thing for the vertical fin. Ala Kevin Kimball. I've never covered a plane, but I have wrapped a present or two. :D

2. Oct 10, 2018 #202

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

The top of my horizontal stab is sort of like that and looks blunt to my eye. However, I admit, after owning and flying her for a few years now I don't notice it much as I did at first. Even if you use filler it will still be blunt on the end unless you add a half round glob of filler there.

3. Oct 10, 2018 #203

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

1/4" into 5/8" is only 3/16" per side that you will have to deal with. Easily done with a torch and a little patience. It will look better and, as Tom says, be easier to cover.

Tomcat likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2018 #204

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

you can do something about it, to help fair it in for the fabric. we do something pretty slick with the wolf tail but ill find a pic what I did with the acrosport. the tubing kit from vr3 butts it together like that. I cut the top and bottom, or each side if the fin, at a 45 degree and then made a cap for it. this fairs the fabric pretty darn good. a bit of filler at the small tube makes the transition pretty smooth. that is something you can do now if you want without much surgery and effort at all...… stand by ill find a pic......

5. Oct 11, 2018 at 9:18 AM #205

VH-ZSJ

VH-ZSJ

VH-ZSJ

Tomcat, do you have any tips for crimping the ends of the tubes? Do you just heat to cherry and use a hammer or is there a more refined technique? Also do you just let the metal expand out and have the hinge gap narrow or bend the spar in slightly so it’s still square when flattened?

6. Oct 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM #206

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you do it right the metal will not expand width-wise. What you want is to heat only the center part of the section of tube that will be flattened, this will allow that metal to shrink when you tap it (gently) flat. That metal will get thicker but its surface area will shrink.

VH-ZSJ likes this.
  7. Oct 15, 2018 at 10:07 PM #207

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

I completed welding the rudder last night. I have a newfound respect for welding .025 4130 "Piper channel" ( the cross pieces) to itself, and to 4130 pieces of different thickness. Another adventure in welding school.:) On to the horizontal stabilizers.

0041.jpg

Larry Lyons and VH-ZSJ like this.