Makin" Lil Bitts

Discussion in 'Other Types' started by lakeracer69, Jun 6, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 10, 2018 #141

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If I'm recalling right, you generally want the outflow openings to be bigger (20% bigger sticks in my mind for some reason) than the inlets for a normal pressure cooling system. Can you calculate based on inlet vs. outlet sizing?

2. May 10, 2018 #142

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The S-1S plans reference a factory template/tool to form the exit shape. Most people just do it by eye since there's no other guidance. The last time I did a cowl like that I just measured the max opening on a Homestead-built S-1S and made it about the same -- not that I remember what that number was anymore......

3. May 10, 2018 #143

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Which is better or more efficient havig air exit cheeks(gills) or out the bottom?

4. May 12, 2018 #144

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

Still looking for an answer to the size of the "gills" in post 138. When I measured what I mocked up they are 1 1/4" wide at the apex of the curved area. (Picture 1).

It would be great if someone or two could measure their cowl "gills" for me, when you are at the hanger next.

Thanks

5. May 12, 2018 #145

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Gills are aesthetic many times. Bigger gills are easier to make and small are not. Usually it's some natural spot the metal shape works at. Yes air gets out but it's the way the engine baffling is set up that it contributes or not.

6. May 12, 2018 #146

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

For what it’s worth on my Smith they are about #1. As a matter of fact part of my attraction to this bird in the beginning was in the pictures it looked like no gill. It’s mostly personal preference as I really wanted none but because of the small size and paint job they are almost invisible except from behind.

7. Jun 2, 2018 #147

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

Ok, coming up on 1 year. I figure that it has taken me this long to build a "kit" for my plane. For whatever that's worth. That is with doing something everyday on my project.

Here are a couple of recent pictures. I have been busy making position/weld jigs for the tail feathers this week. I have my cowl substructure pretty well thought out and some reasonably accurate sheetmetal patterns to start with. Cowl substructure will be typical "C" channels. Wheel pants came in, these are from James Aircraft for 5.00 X 5 tires.

0021.jpg 0061.jpg

Dennis Flamini likes this.
  8. Jun 5, 2018 #148

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

Finished up these welding jigs for the rudder and horizontal stabilizer, working on the elevator jig. Rough cutting the rib pieces as I go. I will drill with a large hole saw at all tube intersections after final fit ups are all done for welding access.

0021.jpg

taff, Cameron, smizo and 2 others like this.
  9. Jun 5, 2018 #149

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Nice

10. Jun 5, 2018 #150

VH-ZSJ

VH-ZSJ

VH-ZSJ

Lake racer, any tips on getting the wheel pants to fit together? Did you sand out the inside of the front half till it goes over the flange? I just got mine and trying to get them together.
    Cheers,
    Sam

11. Jun 6, 2018 #151

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

Here is a spring gear template I made tonight. On the prototype the gear is welded all together with no suspension. The fuselage plans have mods for a "future" spring gear. This is where I am tempted to go off the reservation.

0031.jpg

12. Jun 6, 2018 #152

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

Sam, Do you have the same wheel pants as me ( James Aircraft)? If so, all I have done is sand the edges to remove any flashing at the mold line and smooth the flanges so they go together. The front part of the pants comes precut and is pretty square. I will have to remove some material (up to the green tape) to get the sides to slide all the way together. They need this on the top and bottom flange area on the back half of the pants. Alternatively, I could just fill it in with epoxy and micro balloons. I'm not sure if it will cause a problem when I grind the top and bottom edges and expose the fiberglass weave. There is still fiberglass work to do for reinforcement when you cut out for the wheel and install the mud shield ( in the rear part of the pants) anyway.

0101.jpg

13. Jun 6, 2018 #153

VH-ZSJ

VH-ZSJ

VH-ZSJ

Yes same Sam James pants, I’ll do a bit more playing around but mine seem too large for the front to fit over. They are a great product for the price looks like very little work apart from the seam. I’ll probably do the same as you and trim that flange down a bit then fill the gap with micro or flox. The Arnold ar5 videos on YouTube are great for techniques on composites. Cheers,
    Sam

14. Jun 6, 2018 #154

Cloudbase_Engineering

Cloudbase_Engineering

Cloudbase_Engineering

Looking great,

Sorry I have not had a chance to look into the Spring Gear mod just yet on the plans. My work has been keeping me very busy. Also been working on getting the Skylite and Rib template in Solidworks. Let me know what you come up with for the gear and I can add this mod to the plans for future builders.

15. Jun 9, 2018 #155

AaronS

AaronS

AaronS

Registered Users

I dunno, the airplane is so light I would be worried the spring gear would be, well, to "springy". Yes, no?

Maybe something like the Tailwind gear?

I was planning on sticking to the original and keeping it solid.

16. Jun 11, 2018 #156

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Or Sonerai gear -- 5/8" is their normal thickness -- I believe their current supplier/fabricator is; http://www.okeefeaero.com/

-- LB

17. Jun 11, 2018 #157

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

Larry,

Problem with the Sonerai gear is that it is half as tall as required. I have tried to call O'Keefe before, but no one picked up. I had a thought that maybe they could do a set to my specs.

18. Jun 12, 2018 #158

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

Just got this box today. It's a little sad that I'm so excited about it. :rolleyes: I have enough bolts to put all the wing(s) fittings together now. It was good that I was able to go to a local A&P's shop and proof out my bolt length selections, Thanks Bill. I also made a couple of new friends who are both A&P's and have been around it long enough to know a thing or two.

0031.jpg

19. Jun 12, 2018 #159

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Well I guess I should have looked first -- I've got the Lil' Bit plans (as well as Sonerai), but never entered my head that the height would be that much different. Anyway, am enjoying following your build

20. Jun 12, 2018 #160

AaronS

AaronS

AaronS

Registered Users

If all that hardware works it'd be handy to have a list of everything.