• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Making Clips & Standoffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickyP

Reaction score

I was asked by a couple of people where I got the clips for stingers. I've looked everywhere, nobody makes them so you got to do them yourself. I'll post these if anybody want to do it this way. I cant take all the credit I got the idea from "skybolt540" who also agreed the job was a b*tch. I first got a sheet of .031 18x72. Cut it in half (18x36) then had it sheared into 2"x3' strips. Then I bent them into 1" wide with 1/2" sides.

20080208_044121_Standoffs2.jpg

20080208_044359_Standoffs.jpg

Then I set up my chop saw with a 1" stop and started chopping. Be careful and you may want to put up some kind of a backstop these will shoot out of the saw sometimes like bullets.

20080208_051337_Standoffs5.jpg

I ended up with a pile of raw clips, we made about 300 of these.

20080208_051544_Standoffs3.jpg

After that we put them to the belt sander to make different sizes for the different places that we will use them. Some will just have holes for rivets some will have nutplates attached.

20080208_051828_DSCI0003.JPG

Some of them we cut in half and rewelded back together for the narrow width of the stringer material. Its way more work than using the combing rails along the longerons but I think it will give a better look and be stronger without added weight possibly even less.
Edited by: NickyP

Latest posts

Back