• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Marty - Barnfind Pitts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Hill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just entered into a partnership with a flying buddy who is pulling his S-1S out of the barn after 20 years of sitting. When he put it in the barn 20 years ago, the whole thing had been rebuilt within just a few years and there was all of about 65 hours on the motor. We pulled it out yesterday for the first time in 20 years just to take a look and have figured that either we'll get it in the air or sell it for parts.
As it sits now it's got:
-AEIO-360 with a cold-air indcuction and LW sump, 4-1 exhaust and an RSA-5 injector
-76" Metal Sensenich prop
-Bungee gear
-Reinforced Sparcraft wings
It also has:
-A thin flange crank and a old misground Superior cam
-Mouse turds and chewed lacing in the lower wings
-a weight problem, it tips the scales at 840#

Our plan, presented in order to be shot full of holes, is:
-Inspect and recover the lower wings
-Disassemble and inspect engine and rebuild it with a new cam, crank, rings, bearings, seals, etc.
-Replace bungees, tubes and tires, flop tube, overhaul wobble pump, overhaul RSA-5
-Put it on a diet by replacing old starter with a LW unit, B&C SD-8 alternator, and either an odysey or earth-x battery in place of the wheelchair unit currently installed.

Questions that we haven't answered that might change these plans:
-There's limited inspection holes in the upper wing; what we can see looks good but will put a borescope in there for extra measure. Is there a problem with cutting more inspection holes in the upper wing?
-We plan on moving the upper wing laying flat and the lower wings in an old Bingelis-type cradle and strapped down. Any other considerations to moving wings?
-I've got an A&P that will be honchoing the fabric work but he's never done a Pitts. Is it worth buying a set of plans from Aviat or good enough to rely on standard practices?

I've already answered a ton of questions by digging through the forums and I'm sure I'll have more.
/Marty Hill
Barn.jpg

Latest posts

Back