• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Mating Wings to Fuselage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolter

Reaction score
All,
To bring you up to speed, I recently purchased a project that was a welded fuselage and wings pretty far along. After inspection, I determined the workmanship on the wings was pretty shoddy. Perhaps I should say some of the work was shoddy, other parts were awesome which makes me think the wings were built by at least two people along the way...
Anyhow, I have found a set of wings that are also pretty far along. I have taken measurements of the attach fittings which are welded on the fuselage and of the spar stub dimensions. What I have determined is the wings won't easily slide into my brackets...around 1/16" interference at the rear of the aft spar, both sides of the aircraft. I am not keen on the idea of cutting off the attach brackets and re-welding to fit the current wings. Would it be acceptable to remove the steel spar stub plates and plane the spar stub down slightly for a fit?
The next question is what to do if upon installation, the current placement does not result in proper wing rake and incidence. Could I make new spar stub plates and back-drill to fit my fuselage? I would likely have to fill in the existing attachment hole currently drilled through the spar. Any mitigation ideas?

Latest posts

Back