• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Midget mustang plans

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these plans new at the factory in Troy Michigan about 10 years ago. They are as new and have never been used except to look at. Complete with the manual and unused serial number.
This number is transferable no problem. See the website, mustang aeronautics.

And then I fell for a biplane!

$110.00

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would love to but the cash and years are in short supply. I also have another project, I have been building a castle since 1985 and it is almost complete. I think I will rest then.

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And nice mustang, I have seen pics of it around. I think I read about it in a magazine and your quest for an unusual paint scheme. I think you even studied the strips of different tigers, am I right?

Holtzy3

Reaction score
sorry to revive the old thread but does anyone know the approx cost to build a midget mustang?

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The kit is a little over $10k.
Add wheels, brakes, instruments, engine etc you could probably build a nice one for around $25k if you were a good scrounger.

will moffitt

Will moffitt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in love with Midget Mustangs from age 17 to 64 and always wanted to build one. When I became able I did not have that much time left and for some reason known only to the gods I suddenly went for a biplane. A year later I found the one I wanted. In both cases I think you could buy one for half of the build cost.

will

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Small world, I too fell for the Midget at 16. That was still while the show was in Rockford, probably 1963. I still have the sales brochure you could get for about $5. Biplane bites are hard to get rid of though!

L

rmarshall234

Reaction score
sorry to revive the old thread but does anyone know the approx cost to build a midget mustang?
There is an older fellow at our airport with a mostly-complete MM in his hangar. Works on it occasionally to stay busy, but has turned his attention to a scaled P-38 that keeps him more engaged. It has a fairly new engine and a prop is available too, I believe. If anyone is seriously interested, I'll ask him if he wants to sell.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of "scaled p-38". Rc or real plane. Pics!

rmarshall234

Reaction score
Not an RC, it's the real deal. The wingspan is twenty-something feet and he's planning for a couple of small automotive engines. He says it will never fly, he just keeps building because as he says.. "it keeps me alive". He's built a number of airplanes and is cool.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all the plane specific email groups I'm on... it's the only one I've seen Budd Davisson post to... it must be a pretty kick-a$$ plane

From my experience making the baffles for the upper wing fuel tank... working with sheet metal can be as enjoyable as working with tube and fabric. :) !!!

Reaction score
There was a scale P38 featured in Sport Aviation at one time. I think it had a pair of Nissan auto engines and was composite constuction.

Latest posts