• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Mini Engine Search/Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTR-RWH

Reaction score
Just beginning the search for my Mini project's engine and need advice about ones that could be in the running or ones I shouldn't even consider. I want my Smith to be a time builder capable of acrobatics that I have confidence in while learning new maneuvers. I am hoping to find something in the $1000-3000 range. I'm praying that that isn't being unrealistic.

Most threads I have read shows Mini's either have Continentals (C-65s seem to be a bit under-power) or Lycomings in them. Anything bigger than a Lycoming o-320 seems to become a weight consideration. However, most for sale seem to be very old and in need of major overhaul, or new and very expensive.

Is 100 lbs a reasonable engine weight to stay near, or is that to heavy?

Is there a reason no one ever mentions VW engines being used in a Mini. They seem powerful enough for the Sonerai, are newer, and are relatively cheap. I have also seen a 125hp Rotax listed on Barnstormers for just over $1000.

Any advice is welcome. I'm sure it will just generate more questions. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Latest posts

Back